Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Veering off the 2YRC path... (The Hunger Games Trilogy)

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I'm a college student. As a college student I don't always find the time to blog. Also, I haven't been reading anything from my 2YRC list. But that doesn't mean I haven't been reading, which is why I've decided that I'm going to use this blog for all the books I read. Or, at least the books I read that I want to blog about. Which brings me to todays topic - The Hunger Games Trilogy

For anyone who doesn't know, The Hunger Games is a trilogy of young adult novels by Suzanne Collins. I know I'm a little late to the game here, as the final book in the trilogy came out months before I sat down to read the first one, but I have good reasons. I'm still scarred from a few years ago when everyone was going insane over Twilight. I figured if everyone loved those books so much, they must be worth a read. They weren't. Since then, I've been extra careful not to let the hype get to me.

Then about a month ago, Barnes and Noble was selling the first Hunger Games book for $5 in the nookbook store. I hesitantly decided to go ahead and give it a try.

Wow.

I devoured the entire trilogy in a week. I almost missed an essay for my Bible as Literature class because I did not want to put these books down for even a second. The story was well written, and Suzanne Collins did an excellent job of describing the action in such a way that even the potentially boring bits, where nothing really happens, were utterly engrossing. The main characters came to life, and I couldn't help but empathize with the hopelessness of the situation they found themselves in. The books were so good that I found myself talking all of my friends ears off about them. It's been a very long time since I read a book or series of books that I was as eager to recommend as I am with these.

Seriously, I can not say enough good things about this trilogy. Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment